Sunday, March 20, 2011

How is a hipster like a furry?

Ahaha, hipsters. I'm somewhere in between enamored with and disgusted by them. On one hand, I'm an ironic little bastard and enjoy a lot of so-called 'hipster fashion'. I take great pride in enjoying things 'before they were cool'. But at the same time, there's something so snotty and eleitist about hipsters that I just can't get around. It's probably partially the whole skinny-white-priveledged people thing irritating me in part.
I wish there was a good way of describing my position on hipsters other than "well, I'm kinda a hipster, but I don't approve of cultural appropriation, and I'm learning to be an activist, so I don't really fit under the hipster flag of apathy, so what am I?"

I see one big similarity between hipsters and furries. Both seem obsessed with being different. I mean, I get it. I totally do. I love believing that I'm a special snowflake, but really, what's so wrong with being like somebody else? What's wrong with being ordinary? Why do you have to be a dragon/fox/calico cat hybrid with laser eyes and five tails?
And if furries are like hipsters, and can't stand anything mainstream, what will happen to all the furries of today if furry ever goes totally mainstream? People are already freaking out about it because hot topic sells shitty merchandise that could be considered furry like those cat ear hats. What happens if furry becomes cool? Will the original furries continue to be so, or will they go on to something else so they can remain different?

No comments:

Post a Comment