Monday, March 14, 2011

Furry film review: The Tenth Kingdom

The Tenth Kingdom has been one of my favorite films since my cousins gave it to me for my birthday many years ago, but it's so long that I haven't been able to watch it in years. It runs six or seven hours in its entirety as it was originally shown as a miniseries. Recently though, I got really sick. I mean, nose running like a faucet so you have to blow it until its so raw it starts bleeding and your ears are stuffed up and you feel like you're dying sick. So my little sister and I sat on the couch and watched the whole damn thing from beginning to end. It took us three days.
The story starts out with Virginia, a regular girl who lives in New York City running into the prince of a fairytale kingdom who was trapped in the body of a dog by his evil stepmother. Following him through a transdimensional portal in a magic mirror are three trolls and a wolf named, well, Wolf. She and her father have to take the prince back home and help him reclaim his body and take his righful place on the throne. But before they can even leave New York through the portal, Wolf falls in love with Virginia (I always knew they were meant to be ever since I realised their names combined to be Virginia Wolf). He tries to woo her, but is conflicted as he's supposed to be working for a woman who would want her dead. The four go into the land of fairy tales with the trio of trolls close behind. Many exciting adventures follow as they go across the countryside of the fourth kingdom trying to get Prince to safety and the New Yorkers home.
Many would dismiss this as a furry movie because there aren't any traditionally furry characters. But I believe it is, because while there isn't anybody with an anthro shaped body, it still pertains to anthropomorphic interests. There are two animal personalities in human bodies (which may be interpreted as more therian than furry actually), one of which is my beloved Wolf who I had a terrible crush on in middle school. There's also Prince Wendall, the smart-alec prince in a Golden Retriever's body. The best preformances were by the animal characters, and the other dog-in-a-man's body was hilarious. The movie is kinda campy at times, but great fun, and I recommend you all see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment